Friday, October 15, 2010

Junior and the new toy


There is no dog on earth that appreciates a new toy like my Dachshund Junior.
I had bought a whole bunch of squeaktoys at the Dollar store.
Tonight I finally had time to pass some of them out and play a while. Junior claimed a soft rubber squeaky thing that looks like a weight. He has been squeaking for the last 3 hours! I had to sit on the kitchen floor and throw toys and balls and all seven dogs mobbed me! Molly and Sparky don't play with toys. Sparky used to but now he prefers to be pet. Molly has never played. Very, very seldom has she tried to play with Dibbs, NEVER with any of the other dogs. I don't know what happened to her before she came here, but play was not part of it.
So, picture it: Me, on my knees on a pillow, Junior squeaking the pink toy and bringing it to be thrown to the porch, Sheria doing the same with a tennis ball. Sparky trying to climb into my lap and demanding pet-me's.
Lissa claimed a soft plush bunny with a squeaker in it. She doesn't really bring it back, she wants to play tug with it. OK. Suddenly Daisy found the little lamb and wanted me to play with that. This consists of me holding the toy and kind of pushing it against her chest. She then tries to grab the toy and wrestle it away from me. I have to be mighty careful not to hurt her, she is 16 years old and has some backtrouble.
In the midst of all of that Molly wants to be pet. Now all the little ones have to try to get to me around the big one. And here comes Dibbs! She stole Daisy's toy and flipped on her back and played like a little puppy dog. Holding the toy in her frontpaws and biting it, trying to make it squeak. Not bad for an old lady!
They do not take turns, they all want all those things done at the same time. Sure makes a person wish for more hands.
All that fun came to an end when it was supper time. Well, almost....Junior didn't even want to eat, he wanted to keep squeaking. We had to take the toy away and even then it was heck trying to get him to go outside after dinner. As soon as he came back in, he found the toy and has been playing with it non-stop.
I already know it will go to bed with us....

No comments:

Post a Comment