Saturday, December 5, 2009

Polly and the rain


It is bath day today. It is also raining. When the sun shines, Polly loves to take her bath. I take all toys, bowls and whatnots out of the cage, put towels all around it and then she gets a shower with a spray bottle. Of course, the vacuumcleaner is essential. Without it running, there is no bath time. I have talked to lots of bird care givers and we all agree, the vacuum cleaner is a signal for fun times. Polly will sing and hoot and holler, she will strut along the top of the cage with her wings outstrecht and sometimes cover her face with them - as if to hide from the water. She will hang up-side down from the cage and just have a great time. When she is tired, my real work begins. I wipe the entire cage down, she gets clean towels and blankies around it and new toys and stuff. This is when I layer enough newspaper in the drawer to last me the week.
Alas, it is raining. No fun day today. She did rouse a little bit and whistled once or twice but that was the most she would do. After only half a bottle of water she let me know that I could stick it. I still have to do all the work, mind you, but she gets to sit on the corner and kind of look dazed. Her feathers are fluffed and it almost looks like she has her head pulled inbetween her shoulders. And her eyes are almost closed - leave me alone, will you? Ah well, had to be done no matter what

No comments:

Post a Comment