Friday, January 9, 2009

Pip's story


The backyard had not been fenced in yet and all the housedogs had to be leashwalked, one last time, before the humans could go to bed. So, we are out there at 10:30 at night with a bunch of dogs, waiting for them to do their business. I hear this NOISE. What is that? After a few more times I identified the noise as animal speech. And not happy. Take the dogs in the house, give out treats, find the flashlights, back out we go. Kevin to one side, I the other. Did not take long, I followed my ears and found a tiny black kitten in a neighbors drainpipe under the driveway. The kitten came right to me, he was cold and hungry. In the house we go, the dogs go crazy, the kitten hides in my hands - food!Food! Upstairs we go, find kitten food, introduce the kitten to the adult cats, no problem. They don't care, the little thing is barely moving, just looking for food. He ate like he was starving, then went in the litterbox, after that found a warm place and went to sleep.


The next morning he already acted like he had never been anywhere Else. I found several harnesses, most of them small. None fit the tiny kitten. I had to use a make-your-own-holes-leash to create a harness for him. That made him the kitten on a string. The dogs got used to him quickly. Dibbs, herself just found two weeks ago, loved the kitten. She would lick him and he would play with her tail - dogs and cats are not enemies!

No comments:

Post a Comment